Introducing Visible Margin
Visible Margin is a forthcoming section of #Alt-Academy, featuring creative and critical writing by PhDs, graduate students, and alternative academics.
Changes in the structure of the university and the growing ranks of PhD’s in alternative, non-tenure track, and non-academic careers call into question the cultural divide between the academy and a broader intellectual community. Visible Margin endeavors to bridge this gap by providing a space for intellectual exchange and collaboration outside disciplinary boundaries and institutional hierarchies. The contributors to this section of #Alt-Academy will join a growing community of thinkers, writers, and doers working toward a more open and democratic model of intellectual production. Making use of the the versatile platform of MediaCommons, we hope to develop Visible Margin into a dynamic, frequently-updated section with engaging content and an ongoing conversations about the issues that interest us most.
Here, we will:
- Facilitate cross-disciplinary collaboration and exchange both in academic and non-academic genres.
- Increase the visibility of scholars and writers working outside conventional academic frameworks and create a network of support.
- Encourage collaborative and experimental work that challenges individualist, career-oriented models, highlighting the fact that knowledge production is always essentially collaborative.
- Provide a supportive space where scholars are encouraged to speak to a broader audience.
- Question academic standards of cultural and knowledge production that limit inquiry and are maintained through hierarchical, inequitable structures.
- Contribute to the democratization of knowledge both inside and outside of the academy.
Contributions to Visible Margin, which is edited by Polina Kroik and S. Miller, are accepted on a rolling basis. Please see our CFP for more details.