Hip Hop Cinema [September 3 - September 7, 2012]
Monday, September 3, 2012 - Aaron Dickinson Sachs (Saint Mary’s College of California) presents: Hip-hopsploitation: Representing 1980s Hip-hop in Wild Style and Beat Street
Tuesday, September 4, 2012 - Rachel Raimist (University of Alabama) presents: Bringing Wreck: The Films of Ava Duvernay
Wednesday, September 5, 2012 - Cutler Edwards (UC San Diego) presents: Kung Fu and Cowboys: Hip Hop Cinema in the 1970s?
Thursday, September 6, 2012 - David Z Morris (University of South Florida) presents: Sonoda Kenji’s The Sakura of Madness
Friday, September 7, 2012 - Alyxandra Vesey (University of Wisconsin-Madison) presents: Born in Flames, Reborn on Tour
Theme week organized by Lauren Cramer (Georgia State University).
- Kung Fu and Cowboys: Hip Hop Cinema in the 1970s?
- Hip-hopsploitation: Representing 1980s Hip-hop in Wild Style and Beat Street
- Who’s a Terrorist? Global hip-hop, Palestinian nationalism, personalized (my)space
- (Asian American?) Hip Hop: Cool Calm Pete’s “Black Friday”
- Latino Hip Hop: The Complexity of Challenging the Status Quo